OMS 2022 October Mentoring (Mentor)
Your mentee is on the home stretch of their university application, and also the Oxbridge Mentoring Scheme. Thank you very much for your help so far.
Around this point in the year, we know it gets very stressful for OMS mentees. They have just submitted their UCAS forms, need to prepare for their entrance tests (some of which take place in mid-October), and those applying to Cambridge need to submit their My Application forms. Advice on this form is here (just in case your mentees ask for your advice):
The central team have provided the advice below to mentees, but it would be helpful to reinforce key messages:
In relation to the “Additional Information” personal statement of 1200 characters, what should I write in the “Additional Personal Statement”? Is there anything especially necessary to include?
- Why you have applied to your chosen Cambridge course specifically.
- The aspects of the course that you are looking forward to. These can be existing areas of interest which might stem from your own previous reading, but you should also mention other topics in the Cambridge tripos.
- The aspects of the course and its format that you wish to benefit from. For example, some courses offer the chance to write an extended essay or investigation in place of paper.
- The reputation of Cambridge University and gow you think you will benefit from the unique Cambridge supervision system.
- Specific provisions that your chosen college offers that personally appeal to you. For example, inspiring architecture, sports grounds, reputed to have good food, and so on. (Do this only if you have your heart set on a particular college; others, no need to mention aspects of appeal concerning a college).
Apart from the above, the form is otherwise straightforward so wish them luck. The deadline for this form is 18:00 UK time on October 22nd.
We would also appreciate if you could please remind your mentee to sign up early for the IO’s 26 November online Interview Workshop 09:30-16:45. Ask them to register at: https://bit.ly/3TtMXG6 (Note that you will be approached separately to participate in this key event of the year but for now, it would be good for your mentee to simply register).
Once again, thank you for giving up your valuable time!